Sunday, July 24, 2011

Being a tourist guide in Scotland

Well I am not going to complain, not much anyway, except about the weather because overall it's been pretty poor, last couple of days have been lovely though.
I am working too much, ok another complaint, but a it's been a very busy summer for visitors so far at least, and while I am enjoying it and the guests seem to having a good time too, I have had no time to get out and about much. The sea kayaking trip at the beginning of May has been the only trip north of the great glen I have yet managed.
I was hoping, (and still plan) to get up to the Assynt lochs and catch some wild brown trout before now but bookings have been rolling in and quite a lot of stuff has been coming in at the last minute so the opportunities have not been there for going north.
I have made up for it by investigating more local places. I went to East Lothian, east of Edinburgh the other day to fish on the River Tyne. Funny how so many east of Britain rivers start with a 'T', Thames, Tyne, Trent, Tay, Tweed etc etc.
The river is stocked with trout below the weir in the town of Haddington, so I went upstream where the trees are not so thick and it is easier to cast a fly.
Unusually, the weather was quite warm and the sun was shining, so less than ideal and anywayI had bought my permit!
I worked my way downstream trying the pools and likely looking places with out success until I reached a pool where a small burn joined the main river. As I examined the junction for the best place to cast a couple of trout rose in the ripples, things are looking up!
I walked down the bank to the bottom go the pool, don't want to scare the fish, and waded up till I could cast to the area where I had seen the rises. I had selected a tiny dry fly resembling a midge and I tried to get it to land as gently as possible. Nothing looked at it for the first two or three casts, then a very subtle take by the fish brought me my first trout of the day. Six inches of wild trout fought hard and once landed I returned to the river to fight again. I cough two more which were slightly bigger and gave good sport.
Its not really about catching fish, Its about getting out in nice country and considering that I was about 17 miles from Edinburgh its feels a million miles away.
Ok, it's not the far north, but I am not complaining.

No comments: